Sunday, July 26, 2015

Vancouver Did Not Disappoint!

Well, this has been the most exciting weekend I have had in maybe forever?  WE MET!!  This has been something we have been looking forward to since the start of this crazy journey.  Dave and I flew over to Vancouver Thursday evening and picked up some sushi (as a last sushi dinner for 9 months treat) for Andrea.  I don't know who enjoyed the sushi more, me or her girls!  haha  We gobbled all of the sushi up till we all had great big food baby bellies.  It was awesome!  Seriously though, the minute we met, it was instant comfort.  Like we had been friends for a lifetime already.  We woke up the next morning, had a morning swim and then headed over to the clinic for transfer.  I had a flurry of emotions and so did Dave.  He said right before we left, can you just tell Andrea that she still has an out and that we would never be mad if she wanted to back out of the whole thing.  So as I was walking to the elevator with Andrea, I told her this, and she just laughed.  No hesitation, no fear, just absolute surety that she wanted to do this with us and for us.  Incredible gift, incredible woman!  We showed up to the clinic and in the waiting room we noticed the flowers surrounding the room.  Can anyone tell me if these are good luck fertility flowers? Cause they sure should be!!  They look ... anatomical. 


I also learned that I am terrible at the selfie!  I will not bore you with all of the mishaps, but the wrong angle and my face goes horribly wrong!  Yikes!!  We were laughing so hard, and some turned out so hilarious.  We then got brought back to put on our beautiful outfits for transfer and a nurse took pity on our again attempts at a selfie in the mirror and asked if we wanted her to take a picture for us. Nurses...they save you every time!!


At this point I was a ball of energy and excitement.  I had fears of course, but Andrea is so full of confidence and positivity, it is contagious.  I don't think the nurses and docs knew what to do with us because we were cracking jokes and laughing the whole time.  They came to check poor Andrea, and her bladder just wasn't filling up with water fast enough for it properly position the uterus for the transfer.  She kept telling them she was part camel, but they didn't believe her.  2L of torturous water drinking later (think water-boarding), a progesterone shot, and a very cold speculum (you'd think they'd warm those things up or something!), she was finally ready to go.  Then you just feel worse for her, cause her bladder was the size of a baby's head and they kept pushing on her belly.  Such a trooper, especially for someone who hates drinking water.

                                                                        Product placement

Doesn't even phase her.. Still drinking

Starting to suffer a little with the water

Speculum- coldest metal ever

Look at the size of that bladder.  Black hole of Death

The embryologist came in and talked to us about the embryo.  She said that they only had to thaw one, because it survived perfectly and looked fantastic.  (We have 5 day blastocysts)  So we still have 7 frozen embryos in there, just in case.  But Andrea says this is it, and we don't have to think about it for now ... she's got this.  Love her!  

I think this is our baby.  I might have snuck into the lab to get a look at it. haha


I had a strange reaction when the doc came in to talk about the embryo and said we were ready for transfer.  I felt oddly protective of it.  I asked for a picture, but the doc said we couldn't have it until we tested positive.  They didn't want us to get attached to an embryo unless that baby was going to later come home with us.  I understood that, but really wanted it for the blog.  Guess I will save that for the positive test post!  I know that might sound overly optimistic.  I am prepared for the worst, but I am also trying to keep only positive thoughts and trust that whatever needs to happen, will happen. 

 I do have to say that this was a really special thing for me.  I felt such love and such a peace while doing this.  I know how different and weird, and even wrong, surrogacy can seem to some people, but it feels so right for us and I especially knew it while doing the transfer.  Such an incredible experience to watch the whole process happen and be a part of such a miracle of science!!  I have a video of the whole transfer happening, but it didn't come out as clear on my phone as it was in person so I decided not to upload it.  

After the transfer Andrea bee-lined it to the bathroom, carefully of course, I went back to the change room and had a little cry.  This is really happening, we may have a baby on the way, and the feelings of gratitude spilled over.  They gave some instructions on activity levels for Andrea; no lifting heavy objects,  no bouncing activities, just light activity until a positive test in 10 days.  Then she should keep her activity level still fairly light until 12 weeks pregnant.  

The next 24 hours we just had some fun.  We ate ALOT!!  We went to a movie that evening and then the next morning we went to the Vancouver Aquarium.  We had such a fun weekend and I am more sure now than ever that we made the right decision in Andrea.  It was tough saying goodbye to that family, but we are making plans to see each other again before the summer is up.  

We are now on the long wait!  10 days, Aug 2, feels soooo far away.  If I am missing some information that anyone is interested in, please don't hesitate to ask in the comments section!  Thanks for all of your support and well wishes, we so appreciate it!




No comments:

Post a Comment