Thursday, February 5, 2015

You're Putting That Where??

I finally had my first appointment with my fertility doc out here.  It was super informative, and I am very glad I had no idea about the things I should have been stressed about before going!!  I will just explain step by step the process at the doctors office that day, the 3 hour process.  Most of you reading this blog will probably not be too interested, but I thought that it might be interesting for anyone going through the IVF procedure and or surrogacy.  

I got there and filled out a bunch of forms, you know, why not?  We only have filled out hundreds of pages already, so definitely be prepared for LOTS of paperwork.  The nice thing for me is that I really enjoy filling out forms, I don't know why, but I seriously should find a job where I just fill out forms all day.  Its a nice way to shut off your brain and just do some mindless work for awhile.  Next, I met with the nurse in charge of surrogacy, she had gone over my health history and asked a ton of questions.  Then, I was weighed, which for heavens sakes, I am pretty sure I am not pregnant, but my body is really giving off hints that I could be.  I cant even call it sympathy weight, cause my surrogate isn't pregnant yet, not even close.  *Very long sigh*  Maybe the Ghirardelli sitting next to me is not the best encouragement.  Back to it.  

So then the doctor came in and sat down with me and started drawing.  I just love it when doctors draw when they explain!!  haha  It makes me chuckle.  Probably because Dave draws teeth all of the time to explain things and I find it quite entertaining because I still don't really get it, but I nod anyway.  This drawing wasn't too bad, but it scared me for a brief moment.  He started drawing an alien with very weird eyes and antennas and told me that this was a uterus.  So the scary part is that when you have a hysterectomy they sever the ligaments that attach your ovaries to your uterus and so they are no longer attached to anything in your lower region (technical terms only).  So he said sometimes the ovaries end up too high in your body and there is no way to get at your eggs and he needed to do an ultrasound to see where they were.  I looked at Dave and told him that if they weren't there then it would be really obvious that this wasn't to be. Here is the photo. 

 So next was the ultrasound of doom, that fun internal one.  Oh ladies, if you haven't experienced one of these, it is a treat.  Just absolutely lovely. 

We started looking at the screen and what do I see?  My left ovary full of these dark round spots.  YAY  Then, more fun digging and rummaging around, and we find the right one, also looking quite healthy.  He chose to really educate me about my ovaries while holding the ultrasound on that puppy.  I wanted to say, ummmm, good enough.  We can talk about this later.  But you don't want to be rude, so I just dug my nails into the bed and tried to look super interested in what he was saying.  Oh what we go through, but I still say absolutely worth it!!  I was pretty relieved to hear that there would be no problem doing a retrieval and I had a good amount of follicles that the doc said, would make it pretty successful.  

After the ultrasound is the sit down with the doc about what our options and timing were.  He said we are looking at April as the month for retrieval because he needs me to be on birth control for a month prior to put my body in a predictable cycle.  No uterus, means no period to give them an idea when my cycle starts.  I am not really looking forward to birth control!!  We have been long time enemies, so if all of a sudden my posts become erratic and crazy, you can just rest assured, I am on the pill and it should be over shortly.  

Then, when we left the office both Dave and I needed blood work to make sure we didn't have any diseases.  Mine also tested whether I was a carrier for any genetic disorders and that came back all clear!!  So now is kind of a month of waiting.  Dave and I both have to have a full physical and fill out, you guessed it, more paperwork.  Don't worry, this is only 60 pages each.  I just turn on some Netflix and fill out forms until my arm falls off. Then at the end of the month I will get some more blood work to see where they think I am in my cycle and start the birth control.  Then 21 days later I will start the hormones for retrieval and about 21 days after that---retrieval day.  I will try to always keep everyone updated with where we are at and you will hear from me a lot during the hormone stuff.  I think it will be helpful for people to know what that is like--hopefully.  We are so excited to be moving forward!  Please, if you ever have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

                                           

8 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for the journey you are on. I love reading your posts and learning about the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No genetic disorders?? really????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why? What disorder do you think you passed down?

      Delete
    2. I was pretty surprised that I didn't carry any of dad's disorders too.

      Delete
  3. Good story. I like stories. Little tmi on this one tho.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little worried about brothers, sorry about that! haha

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you're not letting your brothers censor you! Haha!

    I can't wait for your hormone-filled posts. Those hormones make people crazay! ;)

    ReplyDelete